Je bekijkt de reis...
Reisverslag Realising Bur Salah Mother & Child Health Project
22 oktober 2010
Realising Bur Salah Mother & Child Health Project
Between 2008 and 2009, while on a duty trip, i visited Bur Salah, a town situated North-west of Galkayo, Mudug region, in Puntland State of Somalia. I was moved by what i saw....the lack of basic health facilities there, especially regarding mother and child health services.
Most women of the women in the region do not have access to medical maternal facilities or services, and are assisted in childbirth by traditional birth attendants. The quality of this health services is poor often resulting in deaths among newly-borns.
It would be an ideal situation to have a well functioning mother and child health center up and running in the town of Bur Salah,
This cause therefore aspires to collect all necessary resources, both material and immaterial, in order to realise this ideal. Your support, in any form and size, will be highly appreciated.
In order to reduce maternal and infant mortality rates, this project aspires to provide badly needed accessible mother and child health care to the community of Bur Salah. In so doing the centre will provide maternal and reproductive health care to mother and child.
Secondly, the center will also provide health information services to the public through means of awareness raising workshops about HIV/AIDS, Family Planning, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), fistula hygiene and sanitation and safe delivery procedures to about 200 traditional birth attendants.
Thirdly the centre will also assist in teaching mothers and to-be mothers important life skills trainings in tailoring, weaving, embroidery tie and dye cloth making, etc as income generating activities. It is hoped that the centre will improve the general health system of the community by providing this free health services, especially to the most poor and marginalized families such as IDPs and other vulnerable groups in the region.
• Greater access to quality health care for 10, 000 remote households
• 200 health workers and birth assistants have learned the skills they need to help pregnant women
• Improved maternal and reproductive health of mother and child in Bur Salah
• Improved nutritional needs of the mother and child by investing in the mothers through the teaching/training
• A decrease in infant mortality rate
• A decrease in malnutrition in children
• Improved health of vulnerable individuals and those who need special attention
• Increase of self sufficiency among 150 families per year by providing information about general health, providing life skills trainings, workshops about HIV/AIDS and other diseases, child upbringing, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
PLEASE ASSIST IN ANY WAY YOU CAN. YOU CAN DO SO BY CALLING, EMAILING, VIA MSN, OR CONNECTING ME ON SKYPE.
Further developments will be updated here.
30 november 2010 17:52 | Door: Mohamoud
Keep it up!
You are just amazing!
Of course we will helpi n any way possible..........let us know on this page.
13 december 2010 13:54 | Door: Hussein
How can i help sistah..
I want to help
13 december 2010 15:12 | Door: Amina, Atlanta
I am from BurSalaax but havent been there in a long time. I am very keen on helping on the condition that this help goes out to the most needy, esp destitute women such as widows, single mothers, divorced women and refugee women.
Sahraay how do you plan to do this/
Amina Sheikh Osman
13 december 2010 15:32 | Door: Sahro Ahmed Koshin
Thank you Mohamoud and Hussein.
Amina, this whole project is aimed at helping the groups you have mentioned above. InshAllah we will realise our goal and make this happen. Kindly inbox me your email.